We find that blogging enables us to engage with our readers, and provide insights into new developments in marketing, social media and communications.
In this blog I will be discussing how you can create a successful blogging presence:
- Have a purpose – Your blog should be consistent with your brand and the goals of your business or organisation. You need to think about why you need a blog, and what content will be presented.
- Know your audience – a blog can be a great way to engage with new and existing clients. Understanding your clients or potential new clients enables you to write in a style that is appropriate to your audience. We include business terminology, as most of our readers are from the commercial or not-for-profit sector.
- Be consistent – one of the most important things after establishing a blog is to maintain it. One way to stay on top of your blogging commitments is to establish a calendar that sets out topics a few months in advance. Our calendar is built to accommodate events we plan to attend, as well as the work we will be undertaking during the year. Having a calendar enables the ability to share writing between several people as they know what they need to write about.
- Support your blog with pictures and illustrations – We find that having quality photos or illustrations draws the attention of our readers. We try to take pictures of events we attend or work that we are blogging about. If you do not have any pictures, appropriate stock images can also be an effective way to maintain a professional presence.
- Promote your blog – blogging requires promotion. Promoting your blog across social media platforms, through e-newsletters and other publications exposes more people to your blog. If you have a YouTube channel a vlog (video blog) can also increase readership. Another way to promote your blog is for it to appear on like-minded websites. If you have partners, you should establish a contra-arrangement where you can provide guest contributions on their website or blog. This also will provide search engine optimisation benefits.
There are many advantages in establishing a blog, such as engaging with your clients and stakeholders, and raising awareness of your brand. When used effectively, blogging can place your website above others in search engine rankings and help draw more people to your website.