To serve your members well, and build their loyalty, a set of principles need to be established, and adhered to, by everyone in your organisation.
If the principles are right … the policies are easy.
- Principle 1 – The Member pays everyone’s wages. The organisation is the paymaster only. Make the relationship successful, the member keeps renewing … and spending.
- Principle 2 – Behaviour towards Members is directed by three key issues – the first is knowledge (e.g. know your member, know your organisation); the second is skills (IT, sales, service, admin and more); the third is attitude. Guess which is most important? Attitude … by far.
- Principle 3 – When Members contact your organisation, they want/need/expect something. That ‘something’ is usually … help/assistance/problem solving. If everyone in your organisation knows how to respond, anticipate and help members – your organisation will achieve greatness!
- Principle 4 – What is the value of a Member? Do you calculate it in terms of the money they spend, the goodwill they spread, the prospects they are capable of bringing to you or …? Do your employees know the value of your Members?
- Principle 5 – Members in most organisations spend money on more than just their membership. Know how to sell to your Members. More important still – know how to build long term Member Relationships.
- Principle 6 – Member satisfaction, on its own, is worthless. Satisfaction must engender loyalty among your members.
- Principle 7 – WOMM (word of mouth marketing) is more powerful than any other form of marketing or advertising. Your/your staff’s friendliness and willingness to be helpful is in direct proportion to your success.
- Principle 8 – Tell members what you CAN DO. They probably already know the things you can’t do – take a more positive, proactive approach.
- Principle 9 – Member Service Excellence is a member’s right. They don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care.
- Principle 10 – The member’s perception becomes their reality. You create their reality – give your members the absolute BEST service, every single time they interact with you.